Can I Run World of Warcraft Classic?
To determine whether your gaming PC can handle the demands of Blizzard’s World of Warcraft Classic, you’ll first need to know its specifications. From there, you can check these against the minimum and recommended specifications listed below. If your components match or are better, then you should be good to go.
If you need a helping hand in establishing your PC’s specifications, we’ve got an easy-to-follow guide available right here. Moving forward, we’re working hard on a new tool to automatically analyze machines and determine their exact specifications to make the process a whole lot easier. More news on that in the coming weeks and months.
World of Warcraft Classic Game Details
- Release Date : 26th August 2019 (PC, macOS)
- System Requirements : Low
- Genre : Massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG)
- Developer : Blizzard Entertainment
- Publisher : Blizzard Entertainment
Transporting hordes of nostalgic players back to 2004, World of Warcraft Classic offers players a faithful replica of the vanilla version of the game, warts and all, that took the world by storm over a decade ago and defines the MMORPG genre to this very day. That means no expansions, and none of the quality of life improvements beyond those introduced in 2006 with patch 1.12.1, but all of the combat mechanics, model assets, map layouts, and talent trees of the time remain.
The eight-player classes return, namely Orcs, Tauren, Forsaken, and Trolls on the Horde side, and Gnomes, Humans, Dwarves, and Night Elves on the side of the Alliance. Leveling is capped at 60 and grinding forms a central part of the experience, promoting cooperation and player interaction, the very factors that led to huge communities and guilds of like-minded gamers that many look back on so fondly.
It’s a trip down memory lane that banks on authenticity and one that anyone who was involved all those years ago won’t want to miss.
WoW Classic System Requirements: Minimum
- CPU : Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 | AMD Phenom 8750 or better
- RAM : 2 GB RAM (4GB for integrated graphics such as Intel HD Graphics series)
- HDD : 5 GB available space
- GPU : NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB | AMD Radeon HD 4850 512 MB | Intel HD Graphics 4000
- OS : Windows 7 64-bit with the latest service pack
- Screen Resolution : 1024 x 768
- Network : Broadband Internet connection
WoW Classic System Requirements: Recommended
- CPU : Intel Core i7-4770 | AMD FX-8310 or better
- RAM : 8 GB RAM
- HDD : 70GB SSD (Solid State Drive) available space
- GPU : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB | AMD Radeon R9 280 or better
- OS : Windows 10 64-bit with latest service pack
- Screen Resolution : 1024 x 768 or better
- Network : Broadband Internet connection
Optimal Hardware Suggestions
By today’s standard, World of Warcraft is anything but a demanding game and although it’s benefited from a minor facelift it runs in very much the same way as it did back in the mid-2000s. The minimum specifications mean it should run comfortably on any run-of-the-mill laptop with integrated graphics at anywhere between 30 and 60 FPS. The 5 GB space requirement harks back to a simpler time in gaming when games didn’t tally up to multiple dozens of GB.
As for the recommended specifications, they require better components but remain entirely reasonable and a threshold the overwhelming majority of PC owners should meet with ample room to spare. Expect 60 FPS or more at the ultra settings introduced in Classic that were absent from the original – detailed environments and shadows, and better-rendered fauna and flora.
What Gaming PC Do We Recommend?
It’s very rare to say this, but pretty much any PC that isn’t a complete office potato should be fine to run World of Warcraft Classic reasonably enough to have a good time. Our $500 PC build with the following specifications will be more than enough;
- CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 2600
- RAM : 4GB Ram
- GPU : Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 750
If you want to really push those 15-year old graphics to 4K at over 60 FPS, then you’ll need something more substantial to do so. We recommend;
- CPU : Intel Core i7 7600k/6700k/4790K/
- RAM : 16GB or better
- GPU : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080