MW2 Best Graphics Settings for PC
Make the most out of MW2 with these graphics settings
Modern Warfare 2 is a graphically impressive game, so it’s not much of a shock that players want to find the best graphics settings for the game.
The settings menu in MW2 is chocked-full of different options for you to tweak, so figuring out the best configuration can be a bit tricky.
Let’s dive into the best visual settings for MW2.
Modern Warfare 2 Best Graphics Settings
The Modern Warfare 2 settings menu has loads of graphics options to help you squeeze the most out of the game’s visuals and configure your controller or FOV settings. Below, you’ll find each of the visual options you have at your disposal and our recommendations.
You can right-click an option to add it to the Quick Settings menu. This menu gives you quick and easy access to the settings that you use the most often, and you can even remove stuff that’s put in there by default. It’s a great resource for on-the-fly settings adjustment.
Modern Warfare 2 – Display Settings
- Display Mode – This option allows you to swap between fullscreen exclusive, windowed, and fullscreen borderless modes. For the best performance, fullscreen exclusive is the best choice.
- Display Resolution – An option that allows you to change your desired display resolution. Keep this option on Auto unless you’re experiencing drops in performance. This option is locked under fullscreen borderless.
- Dynamic Resolution – This option adjusts resolution on the fly to maintain consistent framerates. If you’re experiencing drops in framerate during gameplay due to GPU overload, then enable this option. You can also adjust the targetted framerate under advanced options.
- Aspect Ratio – Alters the game’s aspect ratio. Leave this on auto to match the aspect ratio of your monitor.
- V-SYNC (Gameplay) – Forces your framerate to match the exact refresh rate of your monitor. If you experience screen-tearing issues, turn this on. Otherwise, leave it off to avoid increased input lag.
- V-SYNC (Menus) – Same as the above option, but only affects menus.
- Custom Frame Rate Limit – This allows you to set a custom maximum framerate limit for the game. Use this option if you’re experiencing framerate drops, and set the limit to your monitor’s maximum refresh rate.
- Constrain Mouse to Game Window – Stops your mouse curser from leaving the window while playing in Windowed mode.
- Focused Mode – Adds a black border around the window to fill the screen in Windowed Mode.
Modern Warfare 2 – Quality
- Quality Presets – This suite of options allows you to automatically set the rest of the graphics options by five different presets. If you’re chasing high fidelity at any cost, set this to Ultra. In most cases, setting this option to recommended will provide the best results.
- Render Resolution – Allows you to select your desired render resolution. This option has a huge impact on your GPU and how much of your VRAM you’re using. If you’re getting low performance, this is a great place to start if you don’t mind losing a bit of definition.
- Anti-Aliasing Quality – Changes the quality of the anti-aliasing. This option impacts your performance, so if you experience problems, try turning this down one step at a time.
- Depth of Field – Makes areas that you’re not focusing on blurry. If you find the effect distracting, turn it off. Otherwise, it doesn’t have any real impact on performance.
- World Motion Blur – Adds a blue effect to objects in the world, such as enemies running or when you aim around the screen. Similar to the above option, the only reason to disable this is if you find it annoying or distracting.
- Weapon Motion Blur – The same as the option above but applies motion blur to your weapons.
- Ambient Occlusion – Adds depth to the shadows when more than one are in the same place. Since this option really does make the lighting more realistic, its best left on unless you’re having major performance issues.
Modern Warfare 2 Best Graphics Settings FAQs
How do I make mw2 look better?
Make sure you set graphics to Ultra, if your computer can handle it, and ensure your Windows Graphics Settings have been tweaked to display color correctly.
What resolution is MW2?
Modern Warfare 2 can support display resolutions between 720×576 and 4096×2160.
It can also support render resolutions between 960×540 and 7680×4320.
WePC is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more