X670 & X670E release date, next-gen motherboards arrive soon
Following AMD’s keynote at Computex 2022, we have new information and a release date for the much-anticipated AM5 socket
27th September – Amazon X670 motherboards are starting to become available, the first one available to order is the popular ASUS ROG Strix X670-E which you can check out here. We have a complete list of X670 motherboards that have been added to retailer Amazon below.
Dr. Lisa Su spoke at AMD’s keynote on May 23, kicking off Computex 2022 with a bang. In her speech, she unveiled a whole host of information concerning AMD’s roadmap for the near future. Within it, was the all-important release date and some specifications of the AM5 chipsets. The X670 release date is here!
That’s right, AMD confirmed the Ryzen 7000 release date at their “Together we advance PCs” event, meaning the X670 and X670E will be available from the 27th of September this year.
X670 & X670E Motherboard List (Prices & Retailers)
Below you will find a list of motherboards and the prices for launch today.
- ASUS ROG Strix X670-E – order via Amazon
- ASUS Prime X670-P – order via Amazon
- ASUS Prime X670-E Pro – order via Amazon
- ASUS ROG Strix X670E-A – order via Amazon
- ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I – order via Amazon
- ASUS ROG Strix X670E-F – order via Amazon
- ASUS ROG Strix X670 Gene – order via Amazon
- ASUS TUF Gaming X670 – order via Amazon
- Gigabyte Aorus Elite X670 – order via Amazon
- Gigabyte Aorus Master X670 – order via Amazon
- Gigabyte Aorus Extreme X670 – order via Amazon
- MSI Pro X670 – order via Amazon
- MSI Pro X670 Wifi – order via Amazon
We shall update this list with more as well as international retailers once we get them.
X670 & X670E release date
In what looks to be one of AMD’s greatest ever launches to date, many looking to upgrade are going to need to invest in a new motherboard.
The all-new AM5 Socket means shopp[ers will need an X670 motherboard to house their new Zen 4 processor.
Specifications of the AM5 platform
AMD’s AM5 is the new socket type for the next generation of chips on the Zen 4 architecture.
- 1718 pin LGA socket
- Native support for up to 170W
- DDR5 and PCIe Gen 5 support
- Compatible with AM4 coolers
Of course, we already knew this information, but it’s nice to get some official confirmation instead of relying on rumors and leaks.
AMD’s corporate vice president, David Macafee, then went on to explain that AMD’s AM5 socket will feature 24 ultrafast PCIe lanes capable of gen 5 speeds, connected directly to the CPU socket. Allowing for ultra-fast connectivity, communication for storage devices, and graphics cards.
AM5 motherboards now also support up to 14 super speed USB ports, boasting 20GB/s speeds and USB type C connectors.
AMD has integrated up to four HDMI 2.1 and DisplayPort 2.0 ports into its higher-end AM5 motherboards, allowing for plenty of connectivity for the Ryzen 7000 series, which all seem to ship with RDNA 2 integrated graphics as standard.
In addition to all of this, the AM5 platform will feature an all-new and fully SVI-3 power infrastructure, bringing a plethora of advantages to the platform. The advantages include additional power stages, fine grand power control, and significantly faster frequency response times.
What about the B650 release date?
At this stage, we are still unsure as to when we might see the final SKU in the AM5 list. The B650 will no doubt be a highly popular board, most likely due to how affordable this line is in comparison to the more premium SKUs.
600 series motherboard hierarchy
In case you’re unsure of what motherboard is best, we’ll break it down for you.
- X670E (extreme) is the best of the best, featuring all the connectivity powered by the latest and fastest technology – DDR5, PCIe 5 – and the most extreme overclocking potential.
- X670 will feature some PCIe gen 5 connectivity, but not all PCIe or M.2 slots. X670 will also most likely have less connectivity, but will still feature strong overclocking potential
- B650 is the budget option, being a more bare-bones motherboard with less connectivity – the perfect balance of price point and capability – featuring all the connectivity that AM5 has to offer, but none or much less of the overclocking capabilities.
AMD introduced PCIe Gen 4 back in 2019. Now they’re bringing in PCIe Gen 5, which doubles the throughput and offers speeds of up to 32 GigaTransfers per second per lane.
The first PCIe Gen 5 capable devices to enter the market will be M.2 storage solutions, These storage solutions will be provided by the likes of Crucial, Gigabyte, MSI, Seagate, and many more.
All of the new PCIe Gen 5 storage technology equates to more than a 60% uplift in sequential read and write speeds.
That’s about all the information we have on the new X670E, X670, and B650 chipsets right now, stay tuned for more details on WePC.
WePC is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more