Phantasy Star Online 2 launched as a free-to-play game on PC in the West last week, but the release has coughed up its fair share of problems for players eager to try out what the MMORPG has to offer.
Reports suggest many of the problems stem from the Windows Store. Lag, stuttering, install problems, and other performance issues - the long-awaited arrival of Phantasy Star Online 2 in the West has been a testing experience for many.
An enterprising team of community members has now taken it upon themselves to fix the woes of the nascent Phantasy Star Online 2 community short of publisher Sega and developer Online R&D pushing out some form of rectifying patch.
The Phantasy Star Online 2 Tweaker team, as it’s known, has added a new update to the unofficial tweaker for the game that now allows players to completely circumvent the Windows Store yet still access and play the game. The team has published a walkthrough over on the Phantasy Star Online 2 subreddit detailing all the steps required to get the tweaker up and running.
Here they are in full if you're tempted:
- Update your Tweaker to 22.214.171.124.
- Reset the Tweaker settings by going to Tweaker Settings -> Reset. Once it reopens, follow the directions to install NA. (Hit no to the guide, then select "I don't have PSO2 installed", then select "NA".) !!!Do not install PSO2 into the ModifiableWindowsApps\pso2_bin\ folder!!!
- Follow the directions until the program restarts and starts to patch.
- Enable Developer mode in Windows 10 - This is required to install the game and link it to the Windows store
- Once it finishes patching, download this file: https://arks-layer.com/docs/pso2_winstore_fix.ps1. Put it in your PHANTASYSTARONLINE2 folder (not your pso2_bin folder, the one above it!). Right-click it and select "Run with powershell". It may prompt you about changing a policy - Just hit Y. Wait until it says "Fixes complete!", then press any key.
- Rename your Program Files\ModifiableWindowsApps\pso2_bin folder just to make sure it doesn't try to launch from there for some reason.
- Hit "Start PSO2" and enjoy!
The tweaker update appears to have fixed many issues, notably lag and stuttering, but the creators do warn that there's the potential for things to awry. As such, they warn that problems may arise, but they are at hand to help anyone struggling.