Developer Team Alto has announced The Alto Collection, a ‘unified experience’ that pairs Alto’s Adventure and Alto’s Odyssey together into one neat package for the first time. The Alto Collection arrives on PC via the Epic Games Store, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One in a little over a week on August 13th, with a Switch version coming “soon” after.
Team Alto cooked up a new trailer to mark the occasion, which regroups accolades praising Alto for its visual style and meditative gameplay farmed from some of the most prominent media outlets, interspersed with a smattering of gameplay footage from both Alto’s Adventure and Alto’s Odyssey. You can watch it below.
If you missed the boat the first time around, Team Alto (consisting of British artist Harry Nesbit and small Toronto-based publisher Snowman) released Alto’s Adventure in 2015 on mobile to critical claim. As an endless runner snowboarding game, players traverse side-scrolling procedurally generated landscapes while performing acrobatic tricks. Tapping into the hard-to-pin-down meditative state experienced while snowboarding, the developers drew inspiration from titles such as Journey and Monument Valley.
In 2018, Team Alto returned with a sequel, Alto’s Odyssey, that reprises much of what defined the original, but shifts the setting to a sprawling desert and introduces new mechanics. Odyssey garnered equally impressive critical acclaim and a raft of awards.
The Alto Collection brings Alto’s Odyssey to PC and consoles for the first time. Here’s how Team Alto describes its latest release:
”Join mountain shepherd Alto and friends as they set out to rescue their escaped llamas and find the adventure of a lifetime. In this collection, you will journey across the beautiful alpine hills of their native wilderness and soar above windswept dunes in a fantastical place far from home. Each procedurally-generated run provides new inspiration and a fresh set of challenges that seamlessly blends our unique landscapes together.”
Among the features included in the collection, here are a few selected by Team Alto in a press release:
- Two epic experiences. Play both Alto’s Adventure and Alto’s Odyssey for the first time in one collection. Easy to learn, difficult to master. At the heart of the Alto series is an elegant two button trick system. Chain together combos, and complete all 360 handcrafted goals and challenges. Explore adventurously. Dive into fluid, graceful and exhilarating physics-based gameplay.
- Master the elements. Fully dynamic lighting and weather effects, including thunderstorms, blizzards, fog, rainbows, shooting stars, sandstorms, swirling wind vortexes, rushing water and more.
- Meet Alto and friends. Discover seven unique characters, each with their own special attributes and abilities.
- Newfound heights. Acquire the wingsuit from Izel’s workshop for an entirely new gameplay experience and soar above the mountain.
- Zen Mode. Complete with its own serene soundtrack, this relaxing mode distills each game down to its purest elements: no scores, no coins, and no power-ups. Just you, alone in nature.
- Beautiful and immersive. Play in stunning 4K resolution surrounded by original music and handcrafted audio for an ambient, enveloping experience.
- Photo Mode. From the pause screen, get behind the lens and take stunning photos of your trip.
There’s no word on pricing quite yet, and Team Alto has yet to launch an Epic Games Store page. It’s unclear whether Team Alto plans to release a Steam version after a period of timed-exclusivity on Epic’s storefront.