Samsung S95B 65″ QD-OLED TV
*OUT TODAY* iPadOS 16 release date imminent
The latest iPadOS16 release date prediction, plus the features of the latest iPadOS 15.7 update
The iPadOS 16 release date is today! The new iPadOS 16 release (that is for the full, stable version of iPadOS16 i.e. not the recent iPadOS 16.1 beta) will be going live any time over the next few hours. Read below for all the details you need to know.
The 10th generation iPad 2022 and iPad Pro 2022 have just been launched, but what about the latest version of the operating system to go with them? It’s been confirmed by Apple, following the release of the new devices, that the iPadOS release date will be Monday, October 24th, so we don’t have long to wait!
By the time the stable version of iPadOS16 is released, it will actually probably be the next iPadOS 16.1 update that you end up downloading to your device, which Apple themselves has told us. Read on for more info!
CHECK OUT THESE APPLE AMAZON DEALS:
Ahead of the new product reveals, we’ve seen some great deals on Amazon appear for many of the previous-gen products.
- 2021 Apple 10.2-inch iPad (Wi-Fi, 64GB) – was
- 2021 Apple MacBook Pro (16-inch, Apple M1 Pro chip 10‑core CPU, 16‑core GPU, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD) – was
- 2022 Apple iPad Air (10.9-inch, Wi-Fi, 64GB) (5th Generation) – was
- Apple AirPods Max Wireless Over-Ear Headphones – was
- Apple AirPods Pro Wireless Earbuds – was
- Apple AirPods(2nd generation) Earbuds – was
iPadOS 16 release date features
The latest iPadOS 16 release will come with new functionality, but not all of these features will be available on every model of iPad, some of them being restricted to the newer devices, including the iPad Air 2022 version, and soon-to-be-released 10th gen iPad and iPad Pro 2022.
- Stage Manager: the new User Interface for iPad which improves multitasking – compatible with A12X, A12Z, and M1 and M2-powered iPads.
- Reference mode: this is a mode that allows the display of the device to show reference color – i.e. an accurate color standard used for professional color work – but will only be available on the 12.9 inch iPad Pro with Retina XDR display.
- Magnifier Detection Mode & Door Detection: Detection Mode is being added to the Magnifier feature, which now gives a short description of people, images and ‘doors’, the latter part of Door Detection – this feature is available for 4th gen 12.9″ iPad Pros onwards or 2nd gen 11″ iPad Pros onwards equipped with an A12Z, M1, or M2 CPU.
- Virtual memory swap: a useful feature that allocates any unused SSD space (up to a max of 16GB) as RAM, improving performance – this is available for all M1 and M2 based iPads (though only iPad Airs with at least 256GB storage).
- External display support: was expected with iPadOS16 but is actually releasing in a later update at some point in Q4 2022.
See the below video from the boys at 9to5Mac for a full rundown on all the new iPadOS 16 release date features to expect.
What’s in the latest iPadOS 15.7 update?
iPadOS 15.7 is the latest update from Apple to tide iPad users over until iPadOS 16 is released. iPadOS 15.7 is focused on improving security and vulnerabilities, specifically: kernel vulnerabilities and security issues with Contacts, Maps, Safari, Shortcuts, and WebKi. Apple reported that they know at least one of the kernel vulnerabilities was actively exploited, so implores users to update their devices so they are no longer vulnerable.
You can read more about these changes in the iPadOS 15.7 release notes.
Which iPads will have iPad iOS 16?
The standard version of iPad will only be compatible with iPadOS 16 if it is of the 5th generation or newer, and the same applies to the iPad mini. All models of the iPad Pro will be compatible with iPadOS 16, and for the iPad Air it is 3rd generation or later.
Why was iPadOS 16 delayed?
Despite releasing iOS 16 on September 12th (for iPhones and the like), Apple has had to delay the launch of IPadOS16 due to bugs with the new Stage Manager multitasking feature (available on M-chip-powered iPads). This was confirmed by Apple in a statement given to TechCrunch back on the 23rd of August 2022, so we’ve known about it for a few weeks now.
The delay is expected to be for around a month following the iOS 16 release date i.e. sometime in October.
When is the iPadOS 16 release date?
The exact iPadOS 16 release date has been confirmed as the 24th of October 2022. Although we though this would be the same day that the 10th generation iPad 2022 and 4th generation iPad Pro 2022 were launched to the public, it appears Apple decided to delay it by an additional 6 days.
As Apple told TechCrunch back in August, the version of iPadOS 16 that people will get their hands on first will be iPadOS 16.1 by the time it launches:
This is an especially big year for iPadOS. As its own platform with features specifically designed for iPad, we have the flexibility to deliver iPadOS on its own schedule. This Fall, iPadOS will ship after iOS, as version 16.1 in a free software update.
iPadOS 16.1 beta release date
The iPadOS 16.1 beta release date was actually back on August 23rd, 2022 so you can now test it out, before the final version of iPadOS 16 is even released, which is a relatively unusual development!
As per usual though, make sure you back up your phone before downloading and installing any Beta OS, as these are inherently unstable and may lead to data loss on your device.
iPadOS 16 release date FAQs
Is iPadOS 16 available?
iPadOS 16 will be available later today, on the 24th October 2022.
The iPadOS 16.1 Beta has been available for some time, but the release on the 24th is for the stable version.
Was iPadOS 16 delayed?
iPadOS 16 was delayed from its expected release date whilst Apple ironed out some bugs.
This means that the stable version of iPadOS 16 that people will be getting will actually be iPadOS 16.1.
What’s the difference between iPadOS 16 vs iPadOS 16.1?
iPad 16.1 is essentially the same as iPad 16 in terms of its primary features, it’s just a more developed version of the operating system, with fewer bugs and some tweeks over the first iteration of the OS. We can probably expect to see iPadOS 16.2 before the end of the year.
iPadOS 16 release date final word
We hope this page has told you everything you need to know about the iPadOS 16 release date. Stay locked onto WePC for all the latest news on Apple product launches and updates.
WePC is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more