God of War Ragnarok NG+ update surprises fans new armor & more
The new God of War Ragnarok New Game Plus update is now available, and it comes with a lot of changes that will make your gaming experience more enjoyable. The news comes in a recent PlayStation Blog post that gives details on NG+ along with all the added features.
It was only last December when God of War Ragnarok New Game Plus was announced by Santa Monica Studios, but now it’s here with more than we could’ve asked for.
In this article, we will look at everything you need to know about this new update, including the new equipment, increased level cap, new enchantments, and much more.
God of War Ragnarok New Game Plus
The NG+ mode in God of War Ragnarök introduces a lot of new gameplay options that weren’t available in the original game. New equipment, an increased level cap, and new enchantments are just some of the features that you will find in this mode. With NG+, you will be able to start your journey with your entire arsenal intact, including your weapons, equipment, and skills from your previous save.
Read more: Best CPU for God of War
Please note that you will not start the game with access to Sonic and Hex arrows. All areas requiring either those arrows or the Draupnir Spear to access will not unlock until you have reached the point in the main questline in which they become available via the story.
God of War Ragnarok New Game Plus update – New Equipment
The NG+ mode also comes with new equipment that you can use to enhance your gaming experience. These include:
Armor of the Black Bear
The Armor of the Black Bear will keep Kratos protected against the Fimbulwinter frost. Its stats focus on Strength and Defense with a perk that rewards your last-second evades with a volley of Bifröst shards. Your NG+ run will begin with the Armor of the Black Bear already equipped.
If you want a real challenge, the Spartan Armor is perfect for you. With no perk, no stats, and locked at Power Level 1, this armor will test your skills to the limit. The Spartan Armor can be acquired for Hacksilver at Huldra Brothers’ Shop.
The Ares Armor rewards the lucky with a chance to drop a Health Stone on hit. When you stomp the Health Stone, you also get a rage gain alongside a bigger explosion. The Ares Armor can be purchased for Hacksilver at Huldra Brothers’ Shop.
The Zeus Armor provides the ultimate risk-reward playstyle. This set greatly increases your Melee and Runic damage, while also increasing incoming damage. The Zeus Armor can be acquired by defeating Gná the Valkyrie Queen and completing certain Remnants of Asgard on a NG+ save.
Spartan Aspis – New Shield
The Spartan Aspis returns in God of War Ragnarök and displays Kratos’ heritage boldly. The Spartan Aspis is similar to the trusted Guardian Shield, but it has a significantly tighter Parry window. While more challenging to time, successful Parries yield a more damaging reward. The Spartan Aspis can be purchased at Huldra Brothers’ Shop with Hacksilver.
For those of you looking to keep things fresh, 13 existing armors have been remixed with new color combinations and styles that were previously unavailable. These appearances can be bought at Huldra Brothers’ Shop and applied to any of your existing Level 9+ armor in the transmog menu. The new Berserker Armor appearance can be acquired after defeating the Berserker King on NG+.
New Level Cap
With God of War Ragnarok NG+, both Kratos and your enemies will become more powerful with an increased level cap. You will be able to convert all your Level 9 equipment (armor, weapons, weapon components, and shields) into new ‘Plus’ versions that will provide additional levels of progression.
Converting your equipment will also yield a Gilded Coin that can be used to purchase one of the new Enchantments from the shop.
Read more: God of War Ragnarok Best Settings
- Gilded Coins: Engravings and Badge Enchantments that allow you to equip powerful and versatile perks from Armor and Shield Rönds as Enchantments in your Amulet. For example, you can equip the Dragon Engraving in your Amulet while wearing a different chest piece to combine two different chest armor perks at once. The most powerful enchantments will require certain Stat thresholds to be met to encourage and reward you for getting clever with your builds.
- Berserker Soul Drops: Stat Boost Enchantments that give you big boosts to select stats to lean into whatever build you like best even more.
- Burdens: A new set of Enchantments that allow you to equip negative Perks for a tailor-made challenge. For example, the Burden of Evasion will automatically give Kratos the Frost status effect when he rolls. Burdens can be purchased at the Huldra Brothers’ Shop with Hacksilver.
New Progression Paths:
- Skill Mod Plus: Upgrade your existing Skill Mod tokens using XP to further enhance the effects of your favorite Mods.
- Platinum Tier Labors: Carry over any progress from your Kill Labors or Ratatasks and continue to unlock a new Platinum Tier of rewards.
- Additional Stat Gains: Nornir Chests will now provide Yggdrasil Dew to allow players to push Stats far beyond their previous limits.
Other God of War Ragnarok New Game Plus Features:
- Expanded Niflheim Arena: The Sparring Arena in Niflheim in NG+ will give you a ton of new options to play with! Alongside a selection of new enemies for you to face off against, you will now be able to play as either Kratos or Atreus and choose any of the following companion characters to fight beside you: Atreus (with Kratos), Freya, Brok, Sindri, Angrboda, Ingrid, Thor, and Thrúd.
- Endgame Bosses: The toughest optional fights have a few switch-ups in NG+ so even if you’ve beaten them before, they’ll still pack a punch when you meet them again.
- Other Enemy Adjustments: The Hateful and the Ormstunga, two of our optional mini-bosses, have been given a few new tricks. If you choose to play on Give Me No Mercy or Give Me God of War difficulties, all bosses and mini-bosses will have Runic Armor. Elite enemies will gain an increase in Power Level, so make sure you keep a special eye on them when you see one transform in combat.
With all of those difficulty changes, along with new burdens, why not take on challenges like Weight of Chains, and find out how to complete it here.
- Black and White Render Mode: After you beat the game once, you will have access to a new Black and White Render Mode for any subsequent NG+ or standard New Game saves. You can find the new mode under the Graphics & Camera settings menu.
- Skip Cinematics: Pick your own pace when replaying the story with the option to skip cinematics in NG+.
God of War NG+ FAQs
Is New Game Plus harder God of War Raganarok?
Yes and no. One of the features of New Game+ is that players can begin a new playthrough with their existing upgrades and armor intact, which can be quite beneficial. However, there is a catch: New Game+ mode increases the level of difficulty.
How to you get the Zeus Armour in God of War Ragnarok NG+?
- The Cuirass of Zeus is acquired by defeating Sigrun in Midgard.
- The Gauntlets of Zeus are acquired by defeating Gondul in Muspelheim.
- The War Belt of Zeus is acquired by defeating Hildr in Niflheim.
WePC is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more